As an ethical and responsible business, we are aware of our impact on the environment and continue to minimise it by constantly looking at what we can do across our operations, particularly our manufacturing sites.
It is our aim to continue to:
Highlights from 2013 include:
- reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, focusing on lowering overall energy consumption and increasing energy usage from non-fossil fuel sources;
- reduce our impact on the world’s depleting water resources;
- spire to our challenging goal of zero waste to landfill; and
- foster natural flora and fauna on our significant estates.
Solar Power at Atlas Point
- 24.4% of Group energy from non-fossil fuel sources
- 30.9% reduction in VOC emissions compared to 2010
- 626 tonne reduction per year in carbon emissions at our Atlas Point manufacturing site
Our Atlas Point manufacturing site has invested $2.3 million in solar panels, the latest development in the site’s ongoing $100 million upgrade. The solar panels sit on 2.5 acres of land and generate 5% of the site’s electricity, which is equivalent to the average power consumed by 130 homes. They will also reduce the site’s carbon emissions by more than 626Te per year.
This project follows the site’s investment into obtaining methane gas down a pipeline from a landfill site 3.5 miles away. The landfill gas now provides approximately 60% of the energy needs of Atlas Point’s manufacturing operations and is recognised as one of the country’s cleanest and most efficient energy projects.
World-leading waste water monitoring in China
Stringent Government standards and regulations in China have led to our Sipo manufacturing site, in the Sichuan Province of the country, developing the most advanced waste water monitoring of any of our manufacturing sites. Instrumentation continually monitors the quality of effluent leaving the site and relays, in real time, the concentration of contaminants to the Government. It is likely that other countries will move toward this standard in the future, so the experience gained with the instrumentation at Sipo will be valuable for our other manufacturing sites.
To read more about how we are minimising our Environmental Impact, please read our 2013 Sustainability Report