Minimise the impact of our operations
As an ethical and responsible business, we are aware of our impact on the environment and continue to minimise it by constantly looking at what we can do across our operations, particularly our manufacturing sites. It is our aim to continue to:
- reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by improving energy efficiency and increasing energy usage from non-fossil fuel sources;
- reduce our waste to landfill; and
- reduce our impact on the world’s depleting water resources.
- 24.2% of our energy was generated from non-fossil fuel sources in 2015
- 6.5% reduction in GHG emissions since 2010
- 48.9% reduction in VOC emissions since 2010
- 56.8% reduction in waste to landfill since 2010
- 5.5% reduction in water consumption since 2010
In 2015, our use of non-fossil fuels and renewable energy has eliminated 25,811 tonnes of CO2 emissions, which is equivalent to taking 13,040 cars off the road or powering 4,609 homes. Over the past five years, we have eliminated 87,442 tonnes of CO2 emissions, the equivalent of taking 44,175 cars off the road for a year or powering 15,615 homes for a year.
Renewable energy projects
As an example of our continuing commitment towards carbon reduction, in the past five years we have invested in multiple energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. All of our capital investments must consider energy efficiency and the opportunity to improve our energy sourcing where it is cost-effective to do so.
Projects implemented in recent years across our manufacturing sites and sales offices include:
- Steam feed from municipal incinerator at Chocques, France
- Wind turbine at Hull, UK
- Photovoltaic solar panels at Edison, and Atlas Point, North America
- Thermal solar panels at Thane, India
- Ground source heating at our Global Headquarters in Cowick, UK
- Biofuel CHP at Leek, UK
- Landfill gas CHP at Atlas Point, North America
- Ground source heating at Mevisa, Spain
- Bio-gas system at Gouda, the Netherlands.
To read more about how we are minimising our Environmental Impact, please read our Sustainability Report.