Croda calls on the UK Government to deliver a clean and just recovery plan
8 Oct 2020
Croda International Plc, which uses smart science to create, make and sell speciality chemicals that improve lives, is one of 200 UK businesses that have called on the UK Government to deliver a ‘clean and just’ recovery plan. (full letter here)
In signing the letter along with other major UK businesses, Croda is asking the UK Government to build a sustainable, inclusive and resilient UK economy following the Covid-19 pandemic, one that:
- Drives investment in low carbon innovation, infrastructure and industries, as well as improved resilience to future environmental risks
- Focusses on supporting sectors and activities that can best support sustainable growth, increase job creation and accelerate both the recovery and decarbonisation of the economy
- Includes within financial support packages, measures to ensure receiving businesses are well managed and their strategies are science-based and aligned with national climate goals.
This year, Croda announced new, stretching sustainability targets as part of a commitment to become Climate, Land and People Positive by 2030. Through this commitment, the company has already signalled its belief in the need to accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy. In becoming Climate Positive, the company will:
- Focus on continuing to reduce its carbon footprint
- Increase the proportion of organic bio-based raw materials its uses from its already industry leading position of more than 60% today
- Through carbon saving benefits in use of its ingredients, enable more carbon to be saved than is emitted by the company’s operations and supply chain.
Stuart Arnott, President Sustainability at Croda said: “As the world plans for recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic, it is the right time to reflect on the need for change and the unique opportunity to accelerate our efforts to tackle the big challenges the world faces. This pandemic has shown what is possible when we need to respond urgently and has taught us new possibilities and understanding.
“As economies begin the process of rebuilding, this is an opportunity to shape the future, not just respond to it. Croda has made a very firm commitment to that future – we will be Climate, Land and People Positive not because of the Covid-19 pandemic but because it’s the right thing to do.”